1. Health

Elizabeth Boskey, Ph.D.

Blood Type and HIV

By February 9, 2009

A recent article in the journal Blood found evidence that a certain, relatively uncommon, blood type may be associated with resistance to HIV infection. This blood type, which is not part of the more commonly discussed A/B/O or Rh groupings, is characterized by the amount of a protein known as Pk present on blood cells. In this small study, the blood cells of those individuals who had higher levels of Pk were found to be more resistant to infection by HIV. This genetic factor could explain some of the population variance in susceptibility to HIV and AIDS. This is not the first genetic factor that has been found to be associated with susceptibility to HIV. A mutation in the protein CCR5, that is found most commonly in certain European populations, also got some attention a few years back for providing resistance to HIV infection.
Comments
November 12, 2011 at 11:15 pm
(1) DuBose says:

I have recently had sex Ed, and I’m worried about HIV. Here’s the story, I was at a swim meet and i tripped on the sidewalk. I scratched up my knee pretty badly. A few weeks later, when it healed a little, I took my moms razor and for some reason shaved that part of my knee. The razor caused a little pain, but it was washed, and I rinsed it off. My mom is O positive, so I’m thinking I might be O positive because that is a common blood type. But I could also be B negative, my dads blood type. This incident happened a few years ago, and I have been healthy, except for being a little overweight. I am my parents only child and I don’t want HIV. What do you think

November 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm
(2) std says:

You can’t get HIV by being exposed to a different blood type. You can only get HIV by being exposed to HIV. Therefore, unless your mother is HIV positive, you don’t have anything to worry about from the incident you described. However, it’s best not to share razors since they can spread blood-borne infections if any are presents. Also? It’s just bad hygiene.

May 5, 2012 at 11:45 am
(3) Tiffany says:

I am type O Positive blood, and I was curious if this means I am at a more higher risk of getting HIV. I figured no because my blood type can be given to anybody. I am also the biggest germ person alive! Is HIV really the hardest disease to contract?

May 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm
(4) std says:

Tiffany, as the post says, it’s not the A/B/O blood type that affects HIV susceptibility, it’s the presence of a different blood protein that people aren’t tested for. The fact that Type O people are universal blood donors has nothing to do with HIV risk. And is it the hardest disease to contract? On the planet? Probably not, but it’s not easy. You can not get HIV from casual contact.

May 6, 2012 at 2:44 pm
(5) Tiffany says:

Is HIV more of a blood borne pathogen? Is that the way you get it most often, or is it contracted from sex too?

May 6, 2012 at 7:18 pm
(6) std says:

Most HIV cases are spread through sexual activity.

June 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm
(7) Jonah says:

Tiffany,

O Negative is the universal blood donor, not O positive.

July 6, 2012 at 9:25 am
(8) digger says:

what do you mean by saying ” different blood protein”
do you mean that you can meet sex partner with HIV postive but less blood protein than yours and still be in safe side?

August 19, 2012 at 6:28 am
(9) neo says:

ohk guys i need help aswel, i was in high school when i met this guy, we dated for about 3 years having unprotected sex and we later broke up, 5 months later after the break up he passed away and was told he had hiv, i quickly went for an hiv test and it came back negative, i went back for my window period 3 months later it came back negative again. Six months down the line i met with this loving guy and this is our second year ever since we dating but we decided to stop using condoms but i still feel unsafe even when i always go for my blood test. The question is, is it realy true that blood O types dont get infected coz im one of them? I honestly cant stop thinking about this please reply if u can. Many thanks to you!

August 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(10) std says:

It’s not true. People with type O blood can get HIV. However, if you’ve had negative tests for several years after your exposure, then you can be reasonably certain your former partner didn’t infect you.

September 1, 2012 at 12:54 am
(11) enhle says:

My blood type O positive and I have been rejecting the myth saying that O positive blood type does not get infected with aids, and however my boy friend believe other wise, last year December we were separated with him n since I was working in another provice, we were than reunited end of April and we had an intercourse,

Two days back I went to d clinic for my unusual period cycle and I also did the pre-post test and the C line was dark n the 1 line was very feint

Is it possible that I’m HIV positive or the test picked up something cause I believe it was suppose to be bluntly because I have had an intercours
In about more than 3 months
e

September 1, 2012 at 8:21 am
(12) std says:

People with type O blood CAN GET HIV. If you have had a positive HIV test, then it is highly likely that you have been infected. However, you should consult further with a doctor.

November 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm
(13) Ando says:

My partner and I have been together for 10years now, we found out that he’s HIV positive three years ago and I am HIV negative,I went for blood type test and found that I am O negative, now I need to know how does this blood type work because before we went for HIV tests we were sleeping without condoms we only started using them after we found out our statuses and trully speaking we sometimes don’t use them but I’m still HIV negative.

December 7, 2012 at 10:49 am
(14) kartik says:

i just had a blood test for checking my blood group. but the doctor used a puncturing syringe on my finger tip which he used already for other patients . can this also cause aids.. i am afraid.

December 7, 2012 at 11:12 am
(15) mohammed says:

the mechanisms not clear.it need brief explanation?

December 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm
(16) Lebo says:

I jst had an unsafe sex wth my partner which happened only once. We then went 4 testing he was pos & came negative I’m waing 4 window period is it possible that I might b positive my blood group its O pos

February 10, 2013 at 10:57 am
(17) Hassan says:

Hi! I’m a blood group and have a partner who’s positive we had unsafe sex before knowing her status and when I went to check my status I tested negative and have done tests several times and get same results. Could this mean I’m resistant to HIV ? What could be the reason for my testing negative?

February 10, 2013 at 2:57 pm
(18) std says:

You CAN NOT assume you are resistant to HIV, just because you weren’t infected in a particular encounter. HIV is not transmitted every time people have sex. You probably just got lucky, and it would be a good idea to practice safe sex in the future if you want to remain HIV negative.

June 20, 2013 at 3:28 pm
(19) Tiffany says:

I have been dating a man for 3 years that is HIV positive (I’ve known for a year & a half). We stopped using protection not long after we met. We have a very active sex life (not to be tacky, but sometimes 3 or 4 times a day) & I recently had a miscarriage. I have been tested once & it was negative, but I am afraid to test again. My blood type is B+ & I have learned that this is a rare type that only 9% of the population has. I’d like to know if this blood type has been proven in any way to be more resilient to the disease?

June 21, 2013 at 8:22 am
(20) std says:

Your blood type will not protect you from developing HIV. If his infection is fully controlled, and he has an undetectable viral load, your risk of infection may be relatively low. However, it’s still a good idea to use protection.

August 17, 2013 at 1:44 pm
(21) Deyoung says:

I discovered my partner is HIV negative when she was 3 months pregrant. But b4 then we have had unprotected sex 4 several time, though I am A negative, when I went for HIV test it came back negative, I went back after one year it was still negative, my fear now is we mistakely had an unprotected sex, do I have HIV? and I fear to take my daughter for HIV test not knowing what the result might be though she is not 4 year. Do u think we have HIV?

November 15, 2013 at 5:58 pm
(22) SHOWA says:

Hi I was in a relationship wid a girl for 3 years… we had protected sex evrytime.. den one day while making intercourse we did not use protection.. we both did our check up.. and the HIV test was negative.. den aftr few months we got separated and den I was in a relation wid someone else.. we both did our HIV test and it was negative. We had protected sex many times but only once we had unprotected sex but did not release my sperms in her vagina I release it outside. But before doing dis we had checked that we both are HIV negative. So is there a chance of us getting dis HIV positive..

January 14, 2014 at 1:37 pm
(23) kedi says:

I was married to a guy who is hiv positive, i didn’t know until he got sick and I discovered that he is positive. We were already divorced. I went for tests and i also tested positive. It’s been now more that 10 years now since I discovered and i never got sick, I check every year and cd4 count is normal and viral count is normal
I practice safe sex every time with my partner but now I want a child. My blood type is o+, will I get sick if I fall pregnant?

March 3, 2014 at 5:24 pm
(24) chris says:

My partner is HIV positive and despite knwn we continued to have unsafe sex. I’m blood group o eh negative. I’ve gone for testing twice and in still negative. Is it TRUE in immune to HIV? or its still in window stage? its been 7 months.

March 3, 2014 at 5:36 pm
(25) std says:

Just because you have not yet been infected with HIV, does not mean that you will not be infected with HIV. <a href=”http://std.about.com/od/Sex-Myths/qt/Sex-Myths-STDs-Are-Transmitted-Every-Time-You-Have-Sex.htm”>Transmission does not occur every time you have sex</a>, and a variety of factors affect risk. For example, if your partner has an undetectable <a href=”http://std.about.com/od/glossary/g/viralloadgloss.htm”>viral load</a>, your <a href=”http://std.about.com/od/T-Z/g/Treatment-As-Prevention.htm”>risk is much lower</a>. Y<em>ou should not assume that sex with your partner poses no HIV risk just because you have not yet been infected. </em>