Oral sex isn't safe sex
. Cunnilingus (oral sex on a woman) can put both the giver and the receiver at risk of numerous STDs. Fortunately for everyone who enjoys "going down" on a woman, there are ways to make the act safer. Although safer sex is more of an interruption when performing oral sex on a woman than it is when doing so on a man (giving a "blowjob
"), it's worth it to be able to maintain your peace of mind.
Time Required: From 5 minutes to 5 hours
- Ask the woman who you would like to perform oral sex on if she would be interested in having you go down on her. If she says yes, the hardest part is over.
- Take your dental dam and use it to cover your partner's vulva. You may also want to put on a latex glove or finger cot so that you can stimulate her manually at the same time.
- Some people like to hold the dental dam and move it around. This is particularly easy if you choose to use a latex glove as a dental dam (see instructions for how behind link) and construct it so that it has built in handles.
- Go down on your partner as usual. Enjoy her body. Have fun. Take your time.
- Some people find it pleasurable to put latex-safe lubricant on the side of the dental dam facing the receptive partner. It can be fun to experiment to see if this is something your lover enjoys.
- Remember that if you have oral herpes you can transmit it to your partner's genitals. In fact, HSV-1 may be even more contagious than HSV-2. Although, in general, performing oral sex on a woman is safer than performing oral sex on a man, herpes transmission in both directions is a real risk.
- If you have been fondling your partner, it is a good idea to wash your hands (or remove your gloves) before touching yourself. Although the data is not conclusive, it seems likely that fingering can transmit at least some STDs.
- Remember that the dam is only protective if it's actually covering the potentially infectious area. Some STDs are passed from skin to skin, rather than just through secretions.
- Pay attention to what you're doing. If you accidentally flip the dental dam over mid-cunnilingus you've just undone all your good work.
- While you may like using food to spice up your oral sex life, make certain not to use any foods that are oil based. They can degrade latex dental dams.
What You Need
- A willing woman
- A dental dam - one you've either purchased or made
- Latex gloves (optional)
- Finger cot (optional)